[Rhodes22-list] Free Charts Booklet Experiment

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jan 3 12:20:14 EST 2006

Tim,

Nice site.  Shows what can be done.

All NOAA charts are now free from NOAA.  They are provided in an
international format--i.e. charts from other countries are also offered
in the same data format.

Commercial software is now able to read this format.  The Fugawi
program, for example, allows you to download any chart from NOAA and
plug it directly into all of the features of Fugawi.
(http://www.fugawi.com/)

This is also why MapQuest and others are throwing in the free electronic
charts, and now, also the software to manipulated those charts.

Any paper chart can be scanned with a computer scanner and any portion
of it can be reprinted.  If you don't alter the aspect ratio, the
printed chart will be as  accurate as the original, even if you change
the size of chart to either get more chart on a smaller piece of paper,
or enlarge the type size by putting less chart on a larger piece of paper.

If you buy the paper chart from Mapquest they will throw in the
electronic chart which the software they throw in will print out for you
at any magnification you select.  You can put your own routes,
waypoints, etc. onto your custom paper charts.  I print the charts on
both sides of a piece of paper, then laminate them, and store them in
the cubby in the gunwale.  They are waterproof, and you can write on
them with water based markers which can be erased when you no longer
need the current information.

Gives you something to do in the winter, and it's great to have in the
summer.

The booklets look great, but even people not living anywhere near the
Chesapeake can take advantage of all the free charts now available.

Bill Effros