[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle trailer

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jan 5 23:59:08 EST 2006

Phil,

The dual axle trailers have a larger "sweet spot" for trailering.  You
don't have to horse the boat around as much to find a spot that will put
200-250 lbs. of weight on the hitch.  Also they are far less prone to
"kick-up" when released from the hitch, and slam the stern into the
ground.  Some people feel safer with extra tires on the ground.

However,

They are much more difficult to move around in the yard; will not rotate
easily in tight spots, cost more, and should the salt water eat up your
wheels (a notorious problem where I am in Long Island Sound) you've got
twice as many wheels to replace.

With a large enough tow vehicle, you'll have no problems with a single
axle, well maintained trailer.  As the tow vehicle becomes smaller, and
you are more concerned about the ability of the tail to wag the dog, you
might be better off with a dual axle--but you'd be better off still
spending the extra money on a properly sized tow vehicle.

Bill Effros