[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle trailer

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Fri Jan 6 08:21:24 EST 2006

Galvanized trailers are the only used around saltwater, the painted are
eaten alive(they ok in fresh water but they rust from the inside out in
salt), My first trail had the standard drums, they "froze up" after two
sessions, replaced with stainless dics. They work very well. Used dics
on the next trailer.  BTW had the same problem with jacks, even with
flushing they keep freezing up, finally got to the point that I would
pack them off with a full tube of water proof grease (i.e. forced is
thought the complete system) before the stop freezing up.

Phil: double axial:

Pro's:
They track better behind the car/truck.
The standard failure mode for a trailer is the wheels far off, (lack of
grease in the bearings, the spindles grind off/ fuse).
It simpler loading.
It nice.

Con's:
They add about 1000-1200 pound, 4200 towing will become 5400+.
This can become a real issue depending on what you use to tow. Tail
waging the dog.
You are now pulling more weight up a wet ramp.
Think full size van, full size pickup truck, suburban, excursion...
Wider turns and harder backing up at the ramp(i.e. getting the trailer
where up want).
Cost; it going to add real money to the price. Two more tiers, wheels,
brake, barring, fenders, an other axial etc, bigger coupler/brake
controller......
Maintenance: Trailers are a PITA, just doubled the work and the cost of
renewing.
The standard 2 wheels system have been used for 40 years

BTW get stainless breaks..................

-mjm

The