[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle trailer

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sat Jan 7 21:24:22 EST 2006

Phil,
  I bought a 2004 2-axle Triad from Stan last spring, and have towed over
2800 miles with a 2003 Toyota fore-runner.I had a old 1 axle before and I
believe I will never go back to a single axle. Twice I've had all  4 trailer
tires chirping to a stop when somebody pulled out in front of me.
Things I like about the 2 axel-
All your eggs aren't in one basket when you hit a bump in the road, first
the front wheel goes in the hole then the back wheel carries the load until
the front wheel comes out and the cycle reverses.
Once the trailer is removed from the car , the single axle has to have jack
stands under the rear of the trailer,before I can clime up the swim
ladder,on the two axle,I can let the wife take the SUV while I set up the
boat in the parking lot, or tear it down with it just sitting on the wheels
and tongue jack.(wheels blocked).
I strongly believe it's the best way to maximize safe towing with a less
than perfect tow vehicle(high center of gravity,short wheelbase.
hope this helps,
Jerry