[Rhodes22-list] Etymology of MJM

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 16:37:31 EST 2006

Slim,

Perhaps this is MJM's background? This sounds like the
modern version of the "back seat", or a musicians room
after a gig. By the way, what is the etymology of
"cockpit"?

Brad

Etymology of "bastard"
The word "bastard" is said to come from old French,
where it was formed from bast (modern bât) =
"packsaddle": "child of a packsaddle"; when muleteers
stopped and unpacked for the night and unpacked their
mules, they would use their mules' packsaddles as
beds, where sometimes a liaison with a local girl or
woman would happen, and sometimes a child was
conceived. The French and Italian etc suffix -ard
(seen also in "coward" etc) was formed in post-Roman
times, being extracted from invading Germanic
tribesmen's names that ended in -hard or -ward.