[Rhodes22-list] Mainly for Stan & Elton

RUSSELL E MILLER re.miller at verizon.net
Sun Jan 8 19:56:16 EST 2006

Wondere if you giuys saw this

Russ
-------------- next part --------------

   A Review:  Seaward 26RK  By  Stephen O'Brien

   Disclaimer:  This review represents my    observations.  I am not a yacht designer, engineer, or    I  have no relationship whatsoever with Hake Yachts or General    Boats.

   I had been intrigued by the Seaward 26RK since I first came across it
      boat's unique retracting keel, traditional looks, and  attractive
   price tag.  In my sailing area (Hudson River and Long    Sound) there are plenty of shoal areas to get caught in and the
   concept    was very    the quality would be?

   Recently I had the opportunity to sail on a Seaward 26RK sailboat,
   manufactured by Hake Yachts and sold through General Boats (the makers
      some special    22 knows    every system on a boat is    possible.  All of the improvements they    sensible, none of them affected the basic structure of    If you are interested in learning more about the General    version of the 26RK, I recommend you contact Stan or Eldon. [2]Welcome
   On Board General Boats, The
   Escorted by Eldon, I got to see up close every component of the boat    and  assess it's sailing characteristics.

   Looks

   When approaching the boat from the dock, the traditional lines of the
      looks    doesn't have any    PEOPLE'S BOATS!), but it's the lines    lines that give it that salty style.

   [3]3D"pict0001.jpg [4]3D"pict0002.jpg [5]3D"pict0019.jpg

   The molded-in bowsprit with anchor roller, the steep sheer from the    bow, the  raised cabin, the fractional rig -- it all says
   tradition.  Yet,    -- it simply doesn't yell "Hey,
   I don' t have many pictures of the overall boat, but you can see more

   Fuel Tank

   OK, why would I single out the fuel tank for my first comment?     Most  boats with an inboard diesel will put the fuel tank under the
   cockpit in    puts the fuel tank    outboard.  So, what's the big deal    until about ten or fifteen years down the    problem that requires removing or repairing the fuel    it's much easier to locate leaks and much easier to replace the    if a  leak occurs.  True, the tank is not as large as it could be if
      a long range    jerry can if you really
   [7]3D"pict0007.jpg

   Owners of good old boats (like me) know how hard it can be to work    with a  fuel tank that's tucked away under the cockpit.  I certainly
   would
   Cockpit and Deck layout

   The cockpit is roomy for a 26 footer and comfortable for four or    five.   The model I sailed had the wheel option, but a tiller is
   available and    to reveal a good sized  locker.  The port seat opens to reveal the
   quarter berth below -- a    ventilation to that space.  The    pretty much as you would expect and everything is
   [8]3D"pict0006.jpg [9]3D"pict0017.jpg

   That's my son  in the catbird seat.  What a great    grill, too.

   The open transom is practical for getting in and out for    You  can expect to get your feet wet when a following wave passes,
   but the    seat is comfortable
   The deck is easy to walk around, and I want to emphasize EASY.     The  chain plates are next to the cabin sides, so you can walk to
   the bow    provides good    nice.  The bowsprit-mounted    chain locker is a feature you won't find on    feet -- I wish I had it.

   [10]3D"pict0015.jpg

   The engine controls are nicely setup and easy to get to.

   Rigging

   The RK26 is a fractional rig with a fully battened main with a full
   roach.  The mainsail has two sets of reef points set up for jiffy
   reefing.  The two sets of reef points are pretty far apart, so by    the time  you get to the 2nd set, your sail will be mighty small.  I
   expect    the keel extended    sailing we did -- the captain says it's    degrees.

   The mainsail is sheeted to a traveller in front of the    companionway.   Nice logical layout.

   [11]3D"pict0018.jpg

   The standing rigging is a fairly standard.  As this is a    trailerable  boat, the mast is setup for easy stepping.  The cap
   shrouds are    back to the cockpit and are    bit unusual in that it starts from a    This leg extends back about 1 foot to allow    roach of the mainsail.  The back stay terminates on the    side of the transom.  It's unusual to have the back stay    just one side of the boat instead of coming straight back or splitting
      compromises the
   [12]3D"pict0014.jpg [13]3D"pict0004.jpg [14]3D"pict0003.jpg
   [15]3D"pict0005.jpg [16]3D"pict0008.jpg

   In general, the quality of the rigging appears to be high.  The    chain  plates are solid and are easy to inspect.

   Portlights

   Why make a big deal about portlights?  Well, for one thing, the    has  eight of them.  And for another, they all open.  (There is    also a  forward opening hatch forward of the mast.)

   [17]3D"pict0010.jpg [18]3D"pict0020.jpg

   I'm a big fan of opening portlights -- it's one of the things I like    about my  Cherubini Hunter 27.  But you just don't see them much    anymore.  You  can get them in plastic or stainless steel, depending
   on your tastes and
   Head

   The head on the RK26 is truly amazing for a boat of this size.     It's  conveniently located next to the companionway steps, so it
   doesn't    a shower.     you want to go that
   [19]3D"pict0012.jpg

   Galley

   My picture doesn't really do justice to the galley.  It's nicely    laid  out and has adequate storage -- about what you would need for
   light  cruising.  Again, nothing remarkable except that they fit it
   into a
   [20]3D"pict0013.jpg [21]3D"pict0009.jpg

   Cabin

   OK, so I didn't take a lot of pictures of the cabin.  You can    those  from the Hake website, anyway.  My impression is that the
   cabin is    Remember, this boat is  TRAILERABLE -- keep that in mind and I think
   you will be amazed at the  space.

   The V-berth is roomy.  I tested it out and, at 6 foot tall, I    able  to fit comfortably inside it.  There is a single settee that
   is    All in all, the    logical.  All good
   I think the big question that you will want answered is "What about    that keel  trunk?  Doesn't it get in the way?"  Ok, that's two    questions.   The answer is, yes and no.  Yes, it's there, but, no,
   it doesn't    gives you a sense that this    beam running from keel to mast step    is.  My feeling is that the advantages of the  retractable keel (see
   more below) are more than enough to offset the    space lost in the cabin.

   One thing I really liked about the cabin is that none of the    bolts  holding deck hardware are hidden -- they're right out there
   in plain    disturbing on my boat    into the headliner.

   Quarterberth

   Here's something really great!  Go back into the quarter berth
   head-first and you will find that all the mechanics are right there --
      components:

   [22]3D"pict0022.jpg [23]3D"pict0025.jpg [24]3D"pict0026.jpg

   I think this is a really important feature since maintenance of the    steering  and other hard-to-reach components can be a real
   nightmare.

   RK = Retractable Keel

   Yes, this is it, the main reason why anybody would be interested in a
      keel was    the 26RK has a keel    can be reduced from 6 feet to 18  inches.  That's 18 INCHES!  Most
   of the ballast resides in a    that when it is fully extended, the leverage    strong.  In fact, when I computed the capsize screen    boat with the keel fully extended, the number was comparable to a Cape
      got the
   The keel is controlled by two lines that lead back to the    Pull  on one line and the keel extends, pull on the other and it    retracts.  Got  it?  The keel is pulled up by a winch mounted on the
   cabin top.

   [25]3D"pict0016.jpg [26]3D"pict0004.jpg

   It's simple and it works.  While I was sailing I felt nothing    stability.  I can imagine how  this feature would make crowded    anchorages a thing of the past -- just head off to the shallow water    where  nobody else can go.

   Overall Impressions

   Would I buy this boat?  Yes I would, and I very well may.     my 1981 Cherubini Hunter 27, but this boat offers more flexibilty,
   more  convenience, easier maintenance, and trailerability.  Not a
   bad  combination.  If you are interested, I recommend you contact
   Eldon    Boats, The Rhodes 22 Sailboat.) and talk to them about it.  Or    contact  Hake Yachts directly.