[Rhodes22-list] new subj: Foreward Foam replacement?

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Mon Jan 9 18:42:11 EST 2006

  Hi everyone out there in Rhodes 22 land:

  I had a surveyor come by my project boat today to give me some
feedback and advice on what area of the boat should be worked on
during the cold winter months.  He did some tapping on the fwd hull
and marked out an area that will be moisture tested later in the year
after I have stripped the paint off that section.    The serious
concern is that somewhere under my fwd foam there could have been
some delamination from water seepage possibly from the vent or the
water tank.
Since I am in this boat for the long haul, I figured that if I had
to, I would pull the foam out,  sand down any bad laminate and build
it up again from the inside.  Then i would need to replace that
foam.   That might sound like alot of work, but I have already fixed
the bulging laminate and trunk issues with the centerboard, so this
repair, while  messy not be as difficult as the previous year.

So the question is  (Stan -If your reading this chime in any time..)
what is the best way to get that foam out , assuming it has been
epoxied in?
  Do you think it was possibly epoxied to a platform of some kind and
sitting on that platform?

the good news was that the bilge is in good shape but will still need
some extra work to get my stringers back in.  He also advised not to
set any wood in for good on top of the stringers, until the boat is
in the water as she is not taking her proper shape on stands in the
boatyard.  This is the sort of advice I needed to get from a
professional.

  I have not heard from Roger in a while and hope he is just busy
with his new job..
   safe sailing &  peace to all
  Lou