[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps -- Not

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Jan 9 23:05:42 EST 2006

Dave,

I'm the anti-bilge pump person on the list.  I think they're silly and
provide a false sense of security--sort of like draping a St.
Christopher's medal over your rear-view mirror, and thinking that will
protect you when you run red lights.

Your boat won't leak any significant amount of salt water.  The thing
that can alter that is if you do something really really dumb.  If that
happens, salt water will come pouring in, and the toy size bilge pumps
that will fit into our bilges will be completely overwhelmed in 10
seconds.  Think New Orleans.

You may get some fresh water leakage from rain that doesn't drain
properly.  If that is happening, you ought to know about it, so you can
prevent it.  Don't let some silly little pump mask a minor problem so
you don't know about it until it becomes a major problem.

The actual output of these little bilge pumps is pathetic.  I own one,
but I never use it.  Instead, I use a manual $20 plastic bilge pump sold
at West Marine.  I store it in the sliding compartment under the Port
Settee.  Whenever I get more than a spongeful of water, I use the
plastic bilge pump.  In a few minutes it will pump out more water than
the 12v pumps will pump in an hour.  Literally.

If you would like to borrow my 12v bilge pump you are welcome to do so,
along with a small jumper battery I keep lying around.  Fill your
bathtub with 6 inches of water.  Put this pump into it, and empty the
tub into your bathroom sink with the bilge pump.  Tell me how long it
takes.  Let a little water keep dribbling into the tub, and the pump
will never drain it.  Then the battery will run out of juice, and you'll
be in the same position you would have been in with no pump at all.

Most boats will sink once enough water gets into the bilge and cabin.
Ours won't.  But none of us has enough batteries on board to sustain a
pump indefinitely while the water is pouring in.  If the worst happens,
you will wind up with a wet cabin, find the hole in the hull, plug it
up, and bail out your boat, or pump it out with a pump much larger than
anything that will fit in our bilge.

I check the bilge every time I go out to sail.  If there is any water in
it, I taste it to see if it is salt water or fresh.  Sometimes I keep
the bilge bone dry.  Other times I leave some water in it because it
acts like water ballast in rough seas, and can make the boat less
tender.  If I've got any kind of problem with water entering my boat, I
know it right away, because I always check the bilge and I see problems
before they get out of control.

The extra plumbing and wiring running into the water is just more stuff
to go wrong.  For every "the bilge pump saved my boat" story you'll hear
on this list, there is another--"the water came flooding through the
sink outlet and flowed directly into my bilge" story from someone else.

Not to mention what our salt water does to the moving switch parts, pump
impellers, and hoses full of stagnant water--seems to me Bruce had
trouble with his brand new engine one year because things were growing
in his cooling system and no water was shooting out of the coolant
tell-tale.  The same thing can happen to your bilge pump plumbing--only
you'll never know, because you'll never check.

Your boat won't leak.

KISS

Bill Effros