[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps -- Not

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue Jan 10 08:11:16 EST 2006

I used to own a wooden catboat, and understand that borax can inhibit wood
rot but it never slowed down mold.  The only answer is to remove or
minimize one of the three components.  I used to open the cabin on my old
boat to find such an abundance and variety of mold species that I was
afraid to get rid of it all for fear that some environmental group would
come after me for killing an endangered species.

All kidding aside, if you have wood stringers and a damp bilge, the very
best thing you can do for yourself is go to RotDoctor.com and buy their
clear penetrating epoxy sealer (CPES).  It is a bit expensive, but it
really does work to inhibit rot and even stop the beginnings of rot and
strengthen the remaining wood.  I am fortunate to have the fiberglass
stringers, but if I had wood I would soak them in CPES.

Bill W.

             "Peter Thorn"
             <pthorn at nc.rr.com
             Sent by:                  "The Rhodes 22 mail list"
             rhodes22-list-bou         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
             nces at rhodes22.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/10/2006 05:47          Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps --
             AM                        Not

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Bill,

You are not alone.  However, I'm more a member of the Dry Bilge Club than
an
Anti-bilge Pumper.  I don't think automatic bilge pumps keep a boat dry
enough.

Apparently Stan now builds boats with fiberglass stringers, but most boats
have lots of wood down there:  stringer joists and plywood floors.
Cellulose (wood), warmth and moisture are the three key ingredients needed
for mold growth.  The only key ingredient that we can control on a Rhodes
22
is water in the bilge.   Ignore a small leak or attend to it only with an
automatic bilge pump, seal up the cabin, introduce a few of the right kind
of mold spores, let the boat sit and simmer (at a mooring, dock, on the
trailer, wherever...) warmed by the sun and what have you got?  A mold
machine!

Prevention is much easier than the cure for a moldy bilge.  Bilge pumps
always leave some water under the pump's intake.  An electric pump could
leave 1/4" or so of water in the entire center stringer section.  I use a
plastic poultry baster and a sponge to get up every last drop if any water
is found there.

I'm not sure if salt water helps prevent mold growth.  Most older boats
sooner or later get rainwater incursions through the ports.   I've heard
Borax can be used to reduce mold growth too and was thinking about placing
some in the bilge.  Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

PT