[Rhodes22-list] Stinking Anchor Line

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Wed Jan 11 20:32:43 EST 2006

Bill, not getting on you case, but in very strong terms I disagree here
(it not helping I am in a bitchy mood from the seaward people).

The two main issues is the no chain and it compounds with on chain and a
light weight Danforth.

The no chain is in direct volition of Chapman's, people are not diving
on their anchors and you have no idea what crap stopped it or is on the
bottom. I admit you do not need the one foot per boat length I like(and
is the recommendation), but under 6 feet is asking for trouble and could
get someone following it real hurt. The other issue is without chain
that light weight  Danforth will never set while the boat is moving,
there are famous for it(hard enough even with 22 feet of chain), they
sail underwater, drift in heavy wind(like 5 knots+ of boat speed) and
try an emeragy set (like lossing your motor in a channel(as in rock,
jetty and seawalls), no per pulling the line, no notice. (and do try is
with lots of room)

-mjm

If
> the line exiting the water forms roughly a 45 degree angle from the
top
> of the water you have more than sufficient scope--that anchor won't
drag
> provided only that the tines have been properly driven into the
bottom.

> Please note, in this process nothing touches the bottom except the
> anchor.  The line comes up wet, but completely clean, except for maybe
> little seaweed, which you strip off.  The anchor may or may not clean
> itself while being hauled.  A few dunks is usually all that is
required
> to clean it, but if not, put it in the sun, and the mud will dry and
> fall off.  A few dunks in water and it's clean as a whistle.
>
> Neither the anchor nor the rode retains any smell at all.  The rode
can
> be safely stored in the tray provided, and it's very handy to have it
> there when you are anchoring from the bow.  There is no chain, so it
is
> never dirty, and never difficult to handle using the anchor line tray.
> There is no smell.  It's good to be able to air out the forward
> compartment to get rid of excess humidity caused by the drying anchor
> line.  Alternatively, the retrieved line can be stored in a container
> until dry, and then returned to the anchor tray compartment.
>
> You will hear other views on this.  I'll get back to it when I can.
>
> Bill Effros
>

> mputnam1 at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Mary Lou,
> >
> >I'll be sailing on the Potomac in the DC area, so this is very
helpful
> information ... thanks,
> >
> >-Mark

IDEA