[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

mputnam1 at aol.com mputnam1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 23:06:32 EST 2006

In my boating safety class today (in order to sail on the Potomac, the Harbor Patrol requires a boating safety course certificate -- 20 people in the class ... 19 powerboaters and me), they discussed how the rode is ideally a combination of nylon rope and chain ... with a few feet of chain attached to the anchor itself.

"The chain lies on the bottom and keeps the direction of the pull of the rode nearly horizontal.  Chain also protects the rode from the effects of abrasion with objects on the bottom."  And regarding the nylon rope: "Nylon rope is strong, with good resistance to chafing and rubbing.  It can stretch without damage to its fibers and will not rot when stored wet.  It is easy on the hands and does not float.  These qualities make it ideal for a rode."  They also said that having mostly nylon rope makes for a far lighter rode to lift.

Pretty much what Art and Dave are saying.

-Mark