[Rhodes22-list] GPS and Depth Finder

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 13 11:41:57 EST 2006

Mark,

The GPS is a great toy, but can be purchased later -- after you really
understand how to do a lot of other things.

Stan's joke about the centerboard depth finder is related to my
anchoring comments about traveling 10 feet per second.  By the time
information about your bottom coming from your depth finder registers in
your brain, the centerboard will already have hit it.  You don't need a
depth finder to tell you you've missed something.

Learn to read charts.  Develop "positional awareness" -- the knowledge
of where you are on the water at all times, and what hazards are nearby.

Several years ago the QEII grounded not far from the waters where
Michael sails.  The captain was doing around 20 knots.  Of course the
boat had the latest depth sounders, gps, radar, etc..  He ripped out
more than 100 feet of hull, and did over 10 million dollars worth of
damage not counting putting the boat out of commission for close to a year.

When asked how this happened, he blamed his charts.  "That rock was not
supposed to be there." he said.  The fanciest depth sounder in the world
won't protect you if you don't already know where you are and where the
bottom is.

I'm with Rummy on this.  KISS.  Learn the fundamentals first.  Learn how
to use your boat.  Only then, if you're bored, start to learn how to
play with the toys.  Don't start with the toys.

Bill Effros