[Rhodes22-list] A Kite and a Brick

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 13 13:24:04 EST 2006

Peter,

I would never anchor in a 5 knot current, even though I know how to do
so.  All boats are moving fast and out of control in 5 knots currents.
They can't steer unless they are doing more than 5 knots, and absent an
anchor, they can't stop to less than 5 knots which is the minimum speed
they will be doing when they smack into you and your anchor.

In 1 to 2 knot currents (which I anchor in all the time) you just float
on the current and drop your anchor.  You don't realize you are moving,
but your GPS keeps telling you that your position is changing.  Your
anchor hits the bottom, you pay out line, you snub off the line, the
anchor sets, and suddenly you see the current passing you by, while your
GPS informs you that you are no longer drifting.

Bill Effros