[Rhodes22-list] Chain/Rope Rode

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 15:44:37 EST 2006

Bill,

To respond further to your anchoring issues:

- Your experience with anchoring is useful, and interesting, but we need to
know what type of bottom you were typically anchoring on/in, the typical wind
current, sea state, and what your anchoring requirements.  For example, if
the bottom is mud, your grapnels may not work well at all, but if it’s dead
trees and boulders, it could work well. Also, if you are dealing with day
sailing - why would you want to go sailing on a really crummy high wind, heavy
seas day - but cruisers have to deal with that.  Finally, if you’re  daysailing
and anchoring for a short while to enjoy the day you may not need the  same
confidence a cruiser needs when he anchors off a rocky coast with the  intention
of sleeping through the night.  My point is, your results may be
representative for day sailing in your locale, but it may be inappropriate to  generalize
for the rest of the Rhodes community.

- Regarding the anchoring of fishing boats that you reported: I assume  you’
re talking small 16 ft to 20 ft boats.  They don’t have the windage or  current
problems sailboats do.  Many of them can be rowed home.  They  have an easier
problem.

- Regarding the windage, current, and swell forces: Seems to me you could
make a stab at estimating those forces.  I’m sure the anchor manufacturers  etc
do over specify - it’s in their interest to sell a larger anchor, but more
important, they will be liable if their systems don’t perform.  We might  try to
figure out the windage, hull drag, and bouyancy forces, it  would be
interesting, but then we’d have to crank in some safety factors to be  sure the
systems used by the vessels could perform - and we’d likely be right  back with
Fortress et al.

- Regarding a catenary “going away” when the anchor rode is stressed.   Not
right.  As I believe Robert said, a catenary is a solution to a type of
problem where you have forces at 2 ends of a flexible whatever (rope, wire,?)  and
there is a distributed force due to gravity (or buoyancy, or both).   When you
see the lines attached to a towed vessel sag you are seeing the effect  of
the gravitational forces - the deflections are obvious.  If the ropes  jerk
taught it doesn’t mean the catenary has gone away, those same gravitational
forces are still there; instead it means the non-gravitational forces have
suddenly become much greater relative to the gravitational forces, so the  deflection
that you see, and associate with a catenary, is much less - but it’s  still a
catenary, and it’s still there.

- Regarding anchoring from a beach having the same physics as anchoring 75'
off shore: they are likely different problems if the standoff from each
anchoring point is the same.  The difference is the difference in height  between
the anchor and the boat deck (point of anchor line attachement).   The anchor
at the beach is about at the height of the boat deck, primary forces  are
nearly horizontal.  The anchor 75' off shore will be many feet deeper  than the
deck is high (hopefully), so there will be a significant vertical force  on the
anchor rode, and perhaps the anchor’s shank, if the weight of the rode  can’t
offset the vertical force coming down from the anchor line.

- With regards to your concerns about large yachts anchoring and their
chains just going straight down: I’m sure they could blow it.  The flukes  could be
fouled with the chain as you suggest, they may not have actually set  their
anchors, they may not even have found the bottom and the anchor may be  just
dangling.  All sorts of possibilities.  But the fact that the  chains go down
from the deck as opposed to out laterally is not conclusive  evidence the anchor
isn’t set and holding.  Rather it means the weight of  the chain is much
greater than the forces that would pull the anchor line  taught.  To understand
this just take a close look at the San Francisco  bridge.  Those main cables
that support the great weight of the structure  are relatively vertical near the
top of the structure, but then the  catenary asserts itself and the cables
become more horizontal and continue to  their anchor points at the end of the
bridge.  The large yachts you  describe are anchoring with large (eg heavy)
cables and you can only see  the part of the cable that’s very near the top, just
like the suspension of the  San Francisco bridge, the chain may loop off in a
catenary to a point that’s  ultimately horizontal at the anchor point- or even
before the anchor point, but  all that’s underwater and out of sight.

Finally, I think there's an implicit presumption here that the entire rest
of the boating world has engaged in some type of swindle in perpetuating the
desirability of a metal chain rode, or that they've been too ignorant to spot
the swindle for what is a very long time.  I think there have been too many
people involved with all types of boats for too long for that type of situation
 to occur.  Yes, some people don't use metal chain rodes, and get away with
it very well given their usage, locales, etc, but when push comes to shove and
 you really want it right in what could become a tight situation (e.g.
standing off a rocky coast in a storm and needing catch a nights rest) I'd  vote
for the metal chain rode.
JMO.

Dave