depth transducer Re: [Rhodes22-list] GPS and Depth Finder

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Fri Jan 13 18:19:09 EST 2006

Rummy mentioned our transducer mount - it's a little tacky but it works. We
were going to mount our transducer to shoot through the hull in the
lazarette. In testing it out we found that it worked until we got into
shallow water (less than 8 ft.) and then turbulence either from the keel or
the motor seemed to disrupt it. Since our transducer was designed for a
stern mount we decided to mount it there temporarily while we decided what
to do. That was about six years ago.

The transducer is mounted on a length of PVC. The PVC has a cap on the top
and two stainless steel hooks that fit over the stern rail. One hook
supports the  PVC when the transducer is in the water, the other supports
it in a position well out of the water. A U-bolt with a removable plate
holds the PVC against the stern rail support adjacent to the swim
ladder.  Pictures are attached. One is of the boat sailing away from the
camera. You can see the PVC pipe next to the swim ladder and the fishfinder
screen on a removable mount next to the left of the companionway. Another
picture is of the PVC with the hook over the stern rail. Next is the U-bolt
holding the PVC against the stern rail support. The cable runs over the
transom and along the drain channel at the back of the seats to the
line-holder for the the centerboard pennant to the screen on the other side
of the companionway. Last (if these transmit in order) is the transducer
attached to the base of the PVC.

The transducer reads fairly accurately on the stern. It varies a bit from
tack to tack but it's close enough to the centerline that this isn't an
issue. It does come out of the water if we are hobbyhorsing over wakes or
in steep chop but we try not to do that much.

Hope someone found this interesting.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD