[Rhodes22-list] Robert Skinner - Sea Anchor?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Jan 16 18:36:52 EST 2006

"Tootle (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:
> Bob,
> So which sea anchor do you reach for? Brand? What type line?
> Ed K

First, let me lay two things on the line:

1.  The majority of my experience has been in small (15-20')
sailboats.  I am now working my way up the displacement ladder.

2.  I have never HAD to deploy my sea anchor.

That said, having a toy and not using it is unsailor-like so
the 6' Para-Tech has tasted water.  It seems quite effective,
based on being towed backward against it by a power boat.  See:

  http://www.seaanchor.com/seaanchor.htm

for info on the Para-Tech.

On a Rhodes, I may have to go to the 9' version just because
of the increased windage.  At the moment, since the 6' unit is
supposed to handle up to 4000 lbs, and because I have other
uses for $350 this year, that will not happen soon.  If I were
starting out over again, equipping for a Rhodes 22, I'd get
the 9' model.

As to rode -- nothing less than 300' of single-braid nylon in
the bucket, deployed length to be tailored to wave phase.  The
boat and anchor should be one wave length apart.

Given that a 9' anchor can generate almost 10,000 lbs of
resistance, enough to suspend 2 R22s by their bow eye, the
rode needs to be pretty hefty, and chafing gear is a must.

Source for the above rode (about a buck a foot):

   http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4.1194.html

For many sailors, the ultimate authority is the "Drag
Device Data Base":

   http://www.landfallnavigation.com/bx030.html

I defer to that author, given my own inexperience.
Hope this helps get the ball rolling,
--
Robert Skinner