[Rhodes22-list] Heave-To

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Jan 17 09:54:04 EST 2006

PT,
Summer squalls can pop up on any body of water. I got caught out on Lake
Hartwell last summer, but had the presence of mind to hole up in a cove instead
of trying to outrun it.
Even in a protected cove, anchor set, companion cover on and drinking a rum
and coke, it was not a pleasant experience. The winds were howling and the
lightning came way to close. I was swinging in a fairly large arch which kept me
 hopping from window to window to make sure I wasn't dragging anchor and
about to  end up on shore. I was really, really glad when the storm ended and I
was able  to get under way. I knew when I went out that there were storms in the
area, but  non looked like they were headed in my direction. I guess you just
can't trust  mother nature to be predictable.
I agree, knowing how to handle the situation can be a life or death
matter........personally, I enjoy living.

Rummy