[Rhodes22-list] Windage

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 17:10:47 EST 2006

Bill,

  Now you are shooting geese in a barrel.  Windage only should depend on
area facing
the wind. It's basically area (including spars ...) times a drag coefficient
(one for a flat plate).
To the extent that the hull area facing the wild also increases with lenght
there may be
a correlation, but it is not direct.

 I would guess the masts and rigging have a significant effect, especially
since the wind
velocity increases with height and pressure goes like velocity squared.  (By
the way
this is the same sort of boundary layer effect as in the teacup, but
extended over
a larger area.  There is even an analogous flow pattern.  Air near the
surface moves
in toward the center of a low, causing an upward flow near the center of the
low -
just like the teacup!).  In addition if the boat sways in the wind the
effective pressure
on the anchor will also increase.

Ron