[Rhodes22-list] Lake Cumberland vs Dale Hollow Lake

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Wed Jan 25 10:04:04 EST 2006

I have only been getting a few of the listserve emails.  I don't know why.
Just now found the question about TN lakes.

Here is what I know about Dale Hollow Lake.  Bottom line, it is a beautiful
lake.  It is a Corps of Engineers lake so there is virtually no development
along its shores, and there are a number of shoreside camping spots.  It is
a deep water lake with mostly shale/sandstone bottom so the water is
extremely clear.  I have been told that many people go there for fresh
water scuba diving.  There are numerous islands and coves that make great
anchorages.  Consequently, it is very popular for fishing and houseboats,
but because of its size and location the lake is never overly croweded.
There are several outfits that rent large houseboats that do get booked up
during the summer months.  I have thought several times about taking my
boat up there but have yet to do it.  The lake is surrounded by high bluffs
which would make sailing a bit tricky I think, but there are some large
open water areas that may be ok.  I have though about taking my boat up
there but have yet to do it.  The couple of times I have been up there I
have never seen a sailboat.  Because the lake is not located near any major
highways, it takes a bit of driving to get to it.  From Knoxville it is
about a 2.5 to 3 hr trip depending on what part of the lake you are going
to.

I don't know much about Cumberland Lake.  I have been told that it gets
much more crowded because it is closer to the main highways and that much
closer to Ohio such that it attracts a lot of folks from northern KY and
Ohio.

Bill Wickman