[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Syndicate

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 18:34:30 EST 2006

I have a boom room and like it a lot.  We discussed this last summer and I
posted a load of pics.  I'll post them again if anybody needs them.
My comments below:
Slim

> I don't think we will ever have the volume to justify Chinese manufacture.

I agree.

> What do you want in your Boom Room?
>
> What are the best features according to those who have them?

The best feature is the shelter it provides.  We've dined and slept in the
cockpit during heavy rain and have been very comfortable.  Mine covers the
entire cockpit with standing head room, it goes over the pop top and the
sides snap on the outside of the toe rails so it encloses more than the pop
top enclosure--that is, it covers the side decks. However, that makes it
harder to go from the cockpit to the bow and there's an issue with the aft
lower shrouds.  But it has versatility galore.  We can use just the roof for
a sun shade or we can add the side panels for more protection and privacy.
The sides have either solid or screen panels (although I wouldn't say it's
completely bug-proof).  If I remove the rear panel I can stand up on the laz
hatch and tend to the barbeque mounted on the stern pulpit.  We can even
sail with it set up but only downwind on the jib alone.

> Do we know anyone who could make up a bunch for us?
>
> What are the design specifications going to be?
>
> What materials should we use?

Mine is white dacron sailcloth which I like very much.  I think if you made
it out of canvass it would be too heavy and bulky to stow and not any
sturdier than sailcloth.  Ours folds up to a bundle about the same size as
our pop top encl.  Also it's stuffable if you don't want to fold it.

> Should it be supported by poles from the bottom, or suspended by the
> halyard from the top?

Mine hangs from the boom.  You rotate the boom so it's upside down and slide
the roof tabs into the slot.  There are five tabs are just standard sail
slides stitched onto the roof piece.  Then the roof is spread out by a grid
of 1" pvc pipe and the side panels hang down from the edges.  The side
panels are attached to the roof with either zippers or strips of velcro.
The grid all comes apart and stows easily and the pieces are easily and
cheaply replaced if broken.  I admit the grid is a little clumsy to set up
and the girls don't bother with it when I'm not there.  With their help, we
can set it up in about 20 minutes.  By myself I can set it up in 15.  8-)

> Should it fit every boat, or require modifications for older boats?

I'm unaware of any differences in the basic dimensions of hull, cockpit, pop
top, mast step and boom.  One size fits all.  (But I could be wrong.)

> Should it require a Pop-Top Enclosure, or should it cover the Pop Top,
> and replace the Pop Top Enclosure?

I still use the pop top enclosure by itself sometimes.  The PTE is great and
much easier to set up when you don't need the big room.  We usually set up
one or the other but both can be set up.  Sometimes we set up the PTE and
later decide to set up the BR.  There's no need to take down the PTE because
the BR sets up over all that.

> Should it use the Bimini as support from below, making it more a Bimini
> Room than a Boom Room?

I, for one, don't have a bimini and don't really want one.