[Rhodes22-list] ensign #817

rone58 at aol.com rone58 at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 17:25:21 EST 2006

Hello Ed K of Greenville SC,
I'm up north hear in NYC. I keep my Ensign on a small slip in a bay not to far from the famed Coney Island. I sail my daysailer B/W Breezy Point and the Verrazano Bridge. I'm a newbie and last year was my first full season. With work and the family stuff I still manage to get out 79 times. Its a fun place to sail, although the current can be pretty swift (4knots) and at some places you are exposed to ocean swells. I work only minutes a way so lots of those sails were only an hour or two of evening trips (which were some of the best). Finding wind is not a problem in Breeeezy Point, I'm looking to purchasing a self-furling jibe and getting some reefing points on the main so I can expand my time on the water without worrying. I had the boat on a mooring the first half season but I much prefer the slip, even though it cost about $1500.  The wife of course loves the slip as well, The first half season I had her on the boat twice. The second and full season it was hard to go out on weekends without her. We had a nice fall and I had the boat out until mid November, and the last three trips left my mouth watering for next season.
      Back to the Rhodes, I was actually out on one down at the Annapolis Show a couple of years ago. I went down with the Wife this past year, but the weather was kind of crappie so I never went out. I enjoyed the sail, and the Rhodes22 has a host of things that a daysailor cannot offer.  I often see a Rhodes coming out of nearby Sheepshead bay and have sailed along side her, I never had words with the owner though. I think the boat is a great choice if you have place to store one on a trailer. I always thought it would be cool to get in a Jeep and pull a Rhodes out to some mountain lake in Colorado or up north in Quebec, maybe when I retire in 10 or 15 years I'll get one and tour the country. For know its my $4400 Ensign that gets me out on the water even if its the same place that I paddled for the last ten and sailed the last two years.
Take care,
Ron
 Pearson Ensign #817