[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Design

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jan 31 11:05:08 EST 2006

Trying to summarize the cumulative wisdom on Boom Rooms, (and I know I
can count on you to correct me if I got something wrong):

1.  We anticipate an add-on to the existing Pop Top Enclosure.

2.  It won't be a "Bimini Room".

3.  Fabric material, screens, windows will be similar to PTE.

Here are things we need to discuss:

4.  The PTE-BR junction will be held together with Velcro (?)

5.  What holds it up?

6.  What holds what holds it up?  (Will this work on all boats?)

7.  Panels or One Piece.  The BR might have more uses if it went up in
panels.  One panel could be used as a sun shade if it could be mounted
below the boom, and remained independent of the boom so it could be used
instead of a Bimini while sailing.  Panels could be added over time to
reduce the initial cost.  But the resulting structure wouldn't be as solid.

8.  And how about:

On-site installation techniques -- Snaps must be added to boats?

Multiple Use Considerations --

Are removable battens in the fabric viable for structural support?

Can the stays be used for support?

Can the topping lift be used for support?

Can the structure be tied down instead of snapped into position?

It appears there are 4-5 somewhat solid orders for Boom Rooms.  This is
enough to make patterns, and commission work.  Stan is welcome to take
whatever he wants from this deal, we just would like to get the best
Boom Rooms that have ever been made.

Dave will be going down to Edenton to make final decisions for his own
boat, and to find out from Stan where he wants to be in the Boom Room
Syndicate.  Any thoughts on this matter from anyone are welcome.

Bill Effros