[Rhodes22-list] Wow this is a boring night

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 22:56:09 EDT 2006

Bill,

Paul wasn't on a tenure track and his position was dependent on him bringing
in grant money.  After 17 years, the U of M Earthquake Center gave him the
boot. He's got an earthquake gig in Japan for a few months and another in
Germany (he's a quaker). Paul's a smart guy but at 57, not on the front
burner of most institutions.  My energy banker neighbor just went through
his second bank merger last month in the last two years.  At 54, his
prospects don't look so hot either.  He'll know in a month or so whether he
still has a job.  Jim ended up in our neighborhood after his Chicago bank
repopulated with "fresh talent".  Everyone put on their best game face but
you could see the worry.

You got me on "vulcanologist", I had to look it up.  I was hoping for
something a bit more erotic!

Brad