[Rhodes22-list] To DAVE about Virginia and in reply

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 06:44:06 EDT 2006

Philip,

Here is the definition of 'moonbat'.

Brad

*Moonbat* is a political
epithet<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_epithets>popularized
in 2002 by Perry
de Havilland<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Perry_de_Havilland&action=edit>of
Samizdata <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samizdata>, a
libertarian<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian>
weblog <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weblog>. Contrary to some speculation,
de Havilland has stated it was not originally a play on the last name of George
Monbiot <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Monbiot>, a columnist for *The
Guardian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian>*, regardless of the
fact he and Mr. Monbiot have appeared on the BBC together expressing
politically opposed views. The term was originally rendered as 'Barking
Moonbat', suggesting that certain issues seem to trigger a reflexive
response from some people much like wolves howl at the moon (i.e. the term
evokes the traditional association between the moon and
insanity<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunacy>).
It now enjoys great currency in the
conservative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative>and libertarian
blogosphere <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blogosphere> as a label for
certain individuals of the American radical
Left<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_politics>,
often used to criticize their opposition to the Iraq War. Though it may be
more broadly applied by certain people, liberals and Democrats who disagree
with the Bush administration<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_administration>'s
approach to the War on Terror
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Terror>are typically not singled
out as moonbats; the term is generally used
against people that the aforementioned bloggers accuse of supporting or
sympathizing with the U.S.'s enemies. "Moonbat" similar to the epithet
Idiotarian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiotarian> and like that term can
also be applied to people anywhere on the political spectrum (for example
both terms have been used to describe US conservative Pat
Buchanan<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan>
).

According to de Havilland, a moonbat is "someone on the extreme edge of
whatever their -ism happens to be". Adriana
Cronin<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Adriana_Cronin&action=edit>defines
the term as "someone who sacrifices sanity for the sake of
consistency". This term has long been used to describe protesters on the
political Left <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left>, but was originally
coined to also describe commentators on the political
Right<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_politics>as well as
certain libertarians.

Moonbat has frequently been used to refer to those who believe certain
conspiracy
theories <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theories>. Examples
include those who believe that elements in the US government orchestrated
the terrorist attacks of 9/11 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11> or that
these were executed under the direction of
Israel<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel>
.

Lately the term has come into wider use appearing in political cartoons,
political forums, and blogs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog>, oftentimes
as "moonbat crazy".