[Rhodes22-list] Detached Furlers and Other Such Calamaties

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jul 6 10:34:12 EDT 2006

mputnam1 at aol.com wrote:
> Is this the sort of thing that eventually happens to most
> R-22 owners?

If you sail long enough, just about everything will happen
to you.

> For instance, what can one do ahead of time to learn more
> about exactly how the roller furler is held together so that
> I can attempt to put it back together again on the water if
> something like this happens?  Should I be taking it apart
> and putting it back together again...  Or does one just
> learn how to handle such things as events unfold on the water?

Mark, there are a couple of rules that I (and many other sailors)
go by.  Most of them have to do with preparedness.  This is one:

"If some item is critically important to the safety of the
boat, knowledge of how it works and how to maintain it are
equally critical."

As the furler is integral with the bow stay in most designs,
it is critical.

Corollary (a la Murphy): "You will be too busy dealing with
consequences to learn, except by default, how the failing item
works when it is failing."

In my occasionally not so humble opinion, you should:

*  Take a careful look at your boat from stem to stern.

*  Identify the parts and systems that are critical to
her safe and secure operation.

*  Make it your business to know how to repair or replace
them.

You should have a plan to deal with each type of failure, and
spares to get you back in business.  Only then can you feel
that you have made proper provisions for the safety of your
self and passengers.

Better take that puppy apart and learn how it works.

Respectfully, and with best wishes for your evolving sailorship,

/Robert Skinner