[Rhodes22-list] Detached Furlers and Other Such Calamaties

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jul 6 08:55:58 EDT 2006

Mark,
     You never listen to me so why should I reply.  Remember the things
called archives?  You could have been reading them all winter.  Why?
Because members of this list have experienced such calamaties as you call
them.  Specifically, foreward stays have broken.  You could have asked
specific questions to those who experienced such and survived to tell us
all.  Side stays have detached!  We have had numerous post how to prevent
such.
      Do you do a pre sail inspection?  You might ask flyboy Brad how to do
a preflight, same concept.  Others have given you some relavant information,
use it and go for a sail today.
      Have you looked at all the pins that attach things?  Made sure that
you are using the correct size cotter ring for the pin?  Or are some pins
held in place by undersized devices just waiting to fail?  Are the pins
taped to prevent them from catching on something and getting torn off?  Ask
the list about where you need covers or rigging tape.
      I think that after you have done your inspection, you need to get more
time under sail.   Things will happen and you will survive.  You need some
time with Captain Rummy.

Ed K
Leicester, Vermont, USA