[Rhodes22-list] Fall Haul?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jul 10 12:51:33 EDT 2006

Bill,

I am also in the NYC area and have not had problems with the water system
being damaged over the winter in 25 years.  In 1981, the water was stored in
a simple poly tank under the V-berth.  I traditionally remove the tank over
the winter to completely drain it (lift up the cushions, remove 3 hoses and
drain tank overboard after pumping as much out as possible.)  I allow the
water in the line to drain into a pail and towel.

I do have to warn you FROM EXPERIENCE that you should look into covering the
R22 on the trailer with a tarp over the winter to avoid building up snow and
ice in the cockpit (Harbor Freight #1435-5VGA 19 FT. x 29 FT. 4" REFLECTIVE
HEAVY DUTY SILVER TARPAULIN $35.99).  I believe that much of the damage to
the cockpit floor that I have had to repair was done by the freezing and
thawing of ice in the cockpit over the winter.  It only take a few years of
this for the water to do damage through separation and delamination.  Please
do not make the same mistake that I did.

Also, while we are on the subject of winterizing, be sure to remove the
battery when not in use.  The battery can be stored in freezing temperatures
(like a garage) as long as it is CHARGED!  If you leave it in the boat, it
will discharge and could be damaged (cells ruptured) by the cold.

Lastly, for several years, I forget to remove the sails and have them
cleaned before storing for the winter.  They last a lot longer when clean,
do not form mildew or mold and seams can be repaired so they are ready for
the spring.

Just my $0.02.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid Summer '81