[Rhodes22-list] Was Fall Haul ... Now: Winter Cover for Boat inthe Water

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jul 10 13:34:28 EDT 2006

Mark,

I purchased the tarp last fall from a special sale flyer from Harbor
Freight.  I will watch the flyers for the same sale and post the flyer
numbers for anyone interested.  But, even at $55, it is not a very expensive
solution.  I usually weather 2 seasons with 1 tarp ($28/yr, not bad).  You
may want to join their email list for sales.  They send 1 email every 10
days or so (gee, that's a lot less than the R22 list...)  Sales are pretty
good and cover almost everything.  I purchased all of our solar power stuff,
a pair of waders (for those late fall hauls) and some foul weather gear from
them and have had no complaints.

We place the tarp over the mast when stored on the boat from bow pulpit to
stern rail.  The mast supports the tarp real nicely with very little area
for snow to accumulate.  We hang water filled milk containers tied to the
tarp at the sides with a few lines below and through the trailer for safety.
This is for land based storage only, obviously.  Maybe you could look into a
smaller tarp for the cockpit area only.  They have large grommets for
securing (run a line through the grommets around the entire R22 at the
rub-rail, maybe).  We carry a smaller tarp on board that makes a pretty good
(read cheap) boom sun shade and is handy to have onboard as a sea anchor in
emergencies.

Mike