[Rhodes22-list] John M. Rohde & Lake Pontchartrain

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Jul 11 18:28:56 EDT 2006

John,
     As a power boater, I am sure you liked the Mac 26.  Here are a few
comments.  The Mac is not a sailboat but a power boat with a sail.  Some
people love it.  However, it has limitations and issues.
     It is a water ballast boat.  Much ado is made about water as a
substitue for real ballast.  However, it presents real saftey issues.  If
you do not remember to take on water or do not take on enough, it is
inherently tippy (read unsafe).
     You can find other comments on the FAQ site.  Or you can ask Bill
Effros for his thoughts.
     The Rhodes has a 20 inch draft (read less than two feet).  It can be
sailed without the center board down.  Or you can just motor down the canal.
A famous Rhodes 22 owner uses a trolling motor to get down his canal.  Most
of us use small gas powered motors.  I have not heard of a Rhodes 22 owner
using that 50 hp motor that Mac advertising talks about.  If you need a big
motor to compensate for other deficiencies then the Rhodes 22 is not for
you.
      The Rhodes 22 is a real sailboat meant to be sailed.  If you really
want to sail then you are at the right place.
       See:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html#O
        We used to have a member of this list on Lake Pontchartrain, that is
until your recent hurricane of note.  Ben has not posted to this list since
his boat landed on his dock.  Oh Ben, where are you???

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA