[Rhodes22-list] Dozens Injured After Cruise Ship Tilts

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 11:33:56 EDT 2006

Bill,

We went on our first cruise a year ago May from New Orleans to Cancun.  The
cost was less than $500 per person on the Carnival Sensation.  FEMA
contracted the same boat for Katrina housing at $1275 per person per week
and they never left the dock.  Now this is what I learned about cruises -
the cost of getting on the boat is nothing compared to the cost of paying
the tab to get off the boat.  It's quite possible that my neighbor and I
spent too much time at the pool bar worrying whether the scantily clad women
should put on more sunscreen.  The Sensation was one of the smaller
boats and after a week, there wasn't a nook or cranny of it I hadn't visited
five times or more.  One thing it did do was give me a sense of appreciation
for what so many immigrants went through to get here. And they didn't have
libations and half-naked women!  If we ever do it again it will be on a
sailing vessel where you can crew until you get bored and go back to
policing the tanning.

Brad