[Rhodes22-list] Furled sails at dock

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 25 10:48:07 EDT 2006

At 07:38 AM 7/25/2006 -0400, TN Rhodey wrote:
>Furling sails and the required hardware does increase weight aloft.
>The R22 rig can handle the extra weight without any problems. I slip
>my boat year round and she has had no ill effects from heavy winds.
>
>The IMF main works flawlessly. I wish mine would wear out faster
>because I would like to get the new IMF with batten. The only extra
>wear you may have with IMF main is the sacrificial strip. This will
>last as long or longer than a sail cover and will be cheaper to
>repair. Also storing sails rolled is generally considered better for
>the sail than folding.

Thanks for your comments, that's the kind of information I was
looking for.  It's clear the IMF is a major convenience, but in
design and manufacturing compromises often need to be made to offer
that kind of convenience.  Doesn't sound like that's the case here :-)

Cheers!

John

"Conservative:  A liberal who just got mugged."