[Rhodes22-list] We're all Jews Now?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Jul 25 12:21:55 EDT 2006

DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/24/2006 9:46:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> robert at squirrelhaven.com writes:
> rhetoric  that is only recently
> being vocally disavowed by the majority if Islamic  faithful around
> the world.
> Robert,
> I've been trying to stay out of these political exchanges, trying to limit
> my board time, but I can't let your statement above pass.  I frankly don't  see
> the majority of Islamic faithful around the world disavowing anything very
> much, what I see passes for smug smiles when it comes to the travails of
> seculars/Christians/Jews/Hindus brought by muslim terrorists.  I'd  appreciate
> anyone challenging that perception; it's not a happy one.

Dave,

I did say "only recently".  I also agree that the
Muslim voices in opposition are very quietly raised
-- in large part due to fear that death squads and
such like will exact a heavy toll on those who
speak out.

I must admit that the more vocal and reactionary
mullahs (and Christian preachers) are more
visible/audible, both due to their own evangelical
natures and to a press that goes to them like
flies to fecal matter.

But, apart from the power-crazed politician and
cleric the common farmer, merchant, and professional
world-wide just wants to eat, sleep, and raise
children in peace.  It is this desire for peace and
security that is exploited by politicians and
clerics in the name of nationalism ("They are going
to attack us, join the army!") and religio-centrisim
("They want to destroy our [family] values,
kill/outlaw them before our way of belief is
challenged!").

> Those smug smiles extend to the US muslim community.

The Somali refugees who have come to Maine are not smug.
Some US Muslims are too dumb to understand what is going
on, just like some Baptist crackers.  It ain't simple,
and many poor and uneducated are attracted to the more
emotional ways of spiritual expression - both Christian
and Islamic.  We of all origins and faiths who have the
good fortune to be educated have a responsibility to pay
back that debt to society by advocating realistic

> I don't recall a large and loud public condemnation of al
> Quaida and it's tactics in the US  by the US muslim community,
> maybe I missed it.

It was easy to miss.  The media paid much more attention to
calls for Bin Laden's blood from mainstream America.  And most
Muslims in this country were understandably keeping their heads
down.  Lynch law still exists, and there were a number of
retributive and unprovoked attacks on Muslims in the US, just
as there were attacks on and incarcerations of Japanese during
WWII.

> I did hear a lot of protestations of innocence and expressions
> regarding the need for tolerance (a  remarkably non-muslim
> characteristic) and due process - but that's  different.

Yup.  It's our way, and we need to cherish it while we unhorse
our true enemies.

> Nor do I recall any muslim nation doing anything constructive
> regarding terrorism except as the US paid them (e.g. Pakistan)
> or except as  the terrorists explicitly attacked the ruling
> government, in which case it was the government responding
> to protect itself not a response from the muslim majority of
> that country.  I'm inclined to the we(everybody but muslims)
> /they(muslim majority) point of view.

So am I, but I add that not all of them are enemies.  Many are
waking up to the idea that if Islam is not to be seen as
dishonorable, they must differentiate between "good" and "bad"
Muslims -- or the bad guys will bring down the wrath of the
civilized world on them.  The enlightened among them can see
what happened in Germany: a political coup targeting the "other",
was ignored by those who just wanted to drink beer and go home to
their families, so they just went along with the program.  It
brought them war.

The next war won't even be that pretty.  Nukes will create
Chernobles of the major cities in the world.  I say we should
forget about retribution and think of terrorists sponsored by
anyone as malignancies and coldly excise them, followed by the
elimination of the sponsors, just as we remove lung cancers and
proscribe smoking.

> If I'm right, it says a lot about the wisdom of investing US military
> resources to protect muslims from Serbs in Bosnia - freeing up muslim  fighters to
> attack us in Afghanistan and Iraq.  It says instituting  democracy is a crock,
> because it just provides a venue for "the people" to  elect terrorists and
> radical clerics to their government - which is what has  happened in Lebanon and
> Iraq.  It says that the problem is not bin Laden,  rather the problem is bin
> Laden and most of Pakistan, all of Yemen, minimum  half of Saudi Arabia, most
> of Iraq, all of Iran, all of Syria, etc.  It  says that a secular strong-man
> running Egypt is a lot better for US interests  than a democracy/theocracy
> staffed with radical clerics.

I'll buy that.  I have said that democracy needs to be
earned, generated from within, not imposed from outside.
That said, a dictatorship that ignores basic human rights
should enjoy our conditional support at most.  I have
nothing against the US acting in its own best interests,
so long as we are clear about what and why we are doing it,
and put the issues on the table for national discussion.

> I don't see  a lot of evidence that the majority of
> muslims world wide are on our side on the  terrorist issue - US punditry
> notwithstanding.

The smarter among them are always going to be on their
own side, but working to eliminate terrorism to prevent
religious civil war in their own countries.

> As for Iran's nuclear program, if it is truly a threat - as opposed to yet
> another US intelligence fiasco - I'm sure Israel will deal with it.  IMO  they
> are very capable. They are also explicitly threatened by the  Iranian program
> so their dealing with the issue would be appropriate.

Nor would I attempt to muzzle Israel.  We need to be getting
international support for their position -- as Sec. Rice is
doing.  I may be a Democrat, but I am not blinded to right
action.

V/R,
/Robert Skinner