[Rhodes22-list] And now for something completely different - Power outages

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jul 27 12:51:08 EDT 2006

Thanks, Brad,

The last time I had to seriously use a generator was in 1973 when we
moved into a new house that didn't have any electricity because a major
ice storm ate up all the available wire.  Then the oil crisis hit.
Diane was pregnant.  You could only buy gas on alternate days.  It was a
challenge (solved by a BMW racing motorcycle with a 10 gallon tank that
was allowed to go to the head of the line any day of the week) -- but
not something we soon forgot.  That generator was so loud that hearing
it run out of gas sounded good.  It was half a year before we could use
electricity without associating it with a deafening sound.

Generators have been out of the question here ever since.  Until I saw
the one you guys were talking about.  The modern appliances are so
efficient it's amazing.  We have installed the new low-power air
conditioners throughout our home.  They really work!

I kind of thought low-power low noise low weight was the way to go, but
it's good to get the confirmation before I have to step up to the plate.

Bill Effros