[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Jul 27 13:10:28 EDT 2006

Bill, I really hate to break this to you (OK, I really don't hat it at all), but most of the assertions below are simply wrong.

Commercial boats are not all "always restricted in the ability to maneuver". 30' crew boats are commercial boast. They're less restricted than my Coronado 35.
Fishing boats do indeed HAVE to have be towing their nets. That's what the regs say

"I don't think any of us seriously thought the sailboat had the right of way" Of COURSE not. He didn't maintain his course and speed. He went from a dead stop, pulled off the grounding he was stuck on, and slammed into the boat.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> bill at effros.com 7/27/2006 10:37:56 am >>>
Wally,

Even though they are operating at unsafe speeds, it is clear both that
they are unable to maneuver, and that you don't want to get hit by
them.  You must give way when you see them coming.

Commercial boats have right-of-way any time they are restricted in their
ability to maneuver.  That winds up being almost all the time.

Fishing boats don't have to have lines or nets or traps in the water
attached to the boat to be "fishing".  A lobster boat going from trap to
trap has the right of way -- and they know it!  They are sick and tired
of panty waisted sailors getting in between them and their livelihood.
This was one of the first right-of-way lessons I learned on my Sunfish
on Long Island Sound.

The Law of Tonnage is the only one that really matters when you're out
on the water.  Somebody posted a video of a sailboat cutting in front of
a ferry.  I don't think any of us seriously thought the sailboat had the
right of way.

Around here people in kayaks think they have the right of way because
they are less maneuverable than sailboats.  Boating fatalities are
soaring because of these people.  Even in boats as small as ours, you
can't see them until it's too late.

People in small boats have to learn to stop doing stupid things.

Bill Effros