[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Jul 27 13:43:35 EDT 2006

Actually, though commonly used (I still say it), NO BOAT has the "right of way". That was covered in about the first 10 minutes in the class I took. Old habits are hard to break though, and most people don't understand the distinction between that and "stand-on"

The USCG web site says this much better than I can:

"The International Navigation Rules do not confer upon any vessel the right of way  however, certain vessels in sight of each other are responsible to keep out of the way of others.
Navigation Rules should be regarded as a code of conduct and not a bill of rights.  They do not bestow rights or privileges, but impose the duty to either give-way or stand-on, dependent on the circumstances."

I believe any of the following would make the power boat stand-on.

If the sailboat is overtaking the power boat ("overtaking" is defined, but I don't remember the exact angle). In that case, the power boat skipper is probably embarrassed as well, and the sailboat skipper is laughing his ass off.

If the sailboat is under command, and the power boat is not.

If the sailboat is not restricted in it's ability to maneuver (again, that's defined in the colregs) and the powerboat is not.

If the sailboat is not contained by its draft, and the powerboat is.

If the powerboat is a commercial fishing boat trawling, pulling nets, etc.

I think that covers it

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> R22RumRunner at aol.com 7/27/2006 12:14:31 pm >>>
Herb,
Assuming the sailboat is under sail power only, under what conditions would
a powerboat have right of way?

Rummy