[Rhodes22-list] Generators on boats - CO

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jul 27 17:42:55 EDT 2006

"Arthur H. Czerwonky" wrote:
> Glad I could help, Willard.  I'm curious if anyone
> uses a Honda on board the Rhodes or any sailboat,
> if so how to avoid the dangers of CO.

I have used a Honda 1000, Sears charger, and 100
Ah battery to power a 28 lb thrust trolling motor.
I made a cap for the hot-air-and-exhaust end of
the gen, and run the effluvia thru a shop vac hose
up the front of the mast.

I haven't used it for a couple of years, as the
thrust from the trolling motor is not enough to
deal with the winds on the big Sebago Lake here
in Maine.

On the other hand, I will have the gen set and a
miniature microwave on the project boat I am
currently working on, as Barbara likes popcorn.

I might rig up a Charley Noble for the gen set
exhaust and the propane heater.  That carries the
risk of fouling the jib sheets unless I rig a bail
over it.

Otherwise, it's a pipe up the front of the mast to
get the exhaust up out of nose range.  Gotta think
about corrosion from condensing vapor on the mast,
though.

It ain't easy being ungreen.

/Robert Skinner