[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sat Jul 29 12:40:25 EDT 2006

>From the USCG web site:

(b)     The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by machinery.

I'd say that it PROBABLY is considered a power-driven vessel. Guess it depends on whether or not an oar or paddle is considered "machinery"...

In practical terms, I'd say that they're give-way to sailboats. Keep in mind, all of the regulations were written with the intent that the easier to maneuver vessel was the one to give way. You can use the paddle to easily change the direction in which you are moving. You can also easily maneuver a kayak in any direction, including straight into the wind. Finally, you can move the kayak whether the wind is blowing or not.

I'd hate to have to argue the case in court though...

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> jbconnolly at comcast.net 7/29/2006 10:16:30 am >>>
I don't recall a specific mention in colregs, except for maybe lighting at
night (flashlight?). The book is on the boat so I am not sure.

I think they are classed as vessels under power (albeit human power) and
thus should give way to sailboats under sail.  They are almost certainly not
restricted by draft.

The operators up here seem to appreciate their vulnerability and for the
most part try to stay out of everyone else's way.  On the other hand, there
are always the clueless out there.  I have not yet seen a problem, but there
is a kayak rental about a quarter mile from my mooring.  We shall see.

Jim Connolly