[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning (long reply)

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sat Jul 29 20:18:50 EDT 2006

At 06:31 PM 7/29/2006 -0400, Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:
>Helpful insights on a nebulous potential problem.  This could be a
>logical approach - about 35' of insulated heavy gauge cable run up
>the mast on the main halyard connected so as to project the top end
>about 12" above the masthead, connected to the other end with a
>copper plate welded/soldered and crimped, which would be put into
>the water near one of the upper side stays.  The top end would best
>have a 'spear' type end attached.  It would be used when strike
>probability is high, otherwise stowed forward.  Thoughts?

I suspect that would have similar characteristics to the StrikeShield
arrangement, which attaches lower down and directly to the
mast.  Stowage might be a problem, that's a lot of very stiff and
unwieldy cable (not to mention the plate and air terminal).  Plus,
you would need to keep it from kinking or otherwise fouling anything
on the way up.  I don't know how practical maneuvering that kind of
cable up the mast would be.

Give it a try and if it turns out to be a PITA, cut it off and
fashion a connector lower on the mast and you'll have a homemade
version of StrikeShield.

Cheers!

John

"He's dead, Jim.  You get his tricorder, I'll go for his wallet."