[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning (long reply)

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 08:38:00 EDT 2006

Ron,

While not followed in research, I have noticed a factor in lightning storms that you have also possibly seen - the lightning will seem to follow the heaviest concentrations of rain in its chosen path to the ground/water.  Obviously, the easier path to follow in that 1000' or so arc to the surface.  If the greatest density of rainfall is avoidable, odds may decrease significantly, again I speculate.  A wise mariner would prefer to avoid heaviest rainfall in any case.

If a mast grounding was used , one of Thompson's posted papers indicated 8 gauge wire was the normal cable used, and would melt under a direct strike.  I have emailed him for more info, especially as his posted research is a little dated.  I still wonder if a 6-8 gauge copper, connected to the mast step area (well coupled at the hinge bolt) and welded to a small copper plate would decrease the odds of a bad outcome, given a direct strike.  BTW, I have no plans to research this myself!  Who should we volunteer for this project, Ed?  After all, he started this thread...

Art