[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 30 09:46:10 EDT 2006

In Florida sailboats get hit by lightening fairly often. I don't know if the
"hit" rate is higher for grounded vs. ungrounded. I know we have had a few
sailboats get hit while slipped at marina. Again I don't know the specifics.
I just do what I can to stay out of the way but I have been caught out in
some violent storms. Once at anchor a storm rolled in and we watched a
nearby tree take a direct hit. There wasn't a damn thing we could do other
than hope for the best. After a short hail burst the storm passed.

For my boat and my use I am not worried about lack of lightening protection.

Wally