[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 11:59:48 EDT 2006

It doesn't even take a direct strike to wipe out electronics on a boat.

  During a violent thunderstorm, our 34' was at our slip in a boat basin, surrounded by boats with taller masts, yet ours was the only one that lost electronics and had damage to the circuit panel. I don't recall exactly what at this time. No throughhulls were blown out, no other damage. Witnesses in cottages on shore said that it was not a direct strike but that lightning was  just swirling around the basin, making that peculiar ZZZZZT noise it makes sometimes.

  elle

John Lock <jlock at relevantarts.com> wrote:
  At 01:03 PM 7/30/2006 -0400, Bill Effros wrote:
>There are 1000s of boats on moorings here. We've lived here for
>over 30 years. I've never heard of one sunk on a mooring by lightning.

Thanks, that's reassuring. :-) In fact, I AM over-analyzing the
whole project. The odds are pretty slim to begin with. But it might
be fun to tinker with, just because I can. (Like I have nothing
better to do.... HA!).

Cheers!

John

"Brainstorm? No, but I had a braindrizzle once."