[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Sun Jul 30 16:32:42 EDT 2006

Bill,

    (list edit)

I am  not saying that you are right or wrong, Just one part of your
statement sounded ridiculous.  Actually, I tend to agree more with your
side of the lightning theory.  Is there really a "cone of protection", or
do the shrouds and mast just start the ground leaders away from the
cockpit? Does grounding the boat's mast and shrouds really help?  It
seems that ground will help divert the lightning around the boat, but
does it also invite the lightning?  The truth is that depending on who's
research you read, (or which sailor you talk to) you could make a case
for or against either argument.

 If you can't take a joke, oh well.  Maybe we can change the subject to
something less inflammatory; something we all can agree upon, like
religion, politics, or perhaps anchoring.

Have a nice Day!

Todd T.

PS.  My brother has played Powerball twice a week for years and years,
but has never won.  Those ping pong balls are always bouncing around in
that machine, it is not difficult for the right six balls to pop out, but
why hasn't he ever won?  Maybe he was standing too close to a bigger
powerballer when he bought the tickets. :-D