[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Mon Jul 31 09:25:46 EDT 2006

Bill,

I am sure that your waters are very busy. I am also sure that your methods of
simply avoiding everyone is prudent. Tonnage is King.

In Lake Michigan, we usually engage a large commercial vessels (i.e. manned
and not limited in their ability to maneuver, etc.) in conversation to avoid a
problem. I always offer to change course if the other vessel desires without
reminding that vessel that as a sailboat we are stand on. In most cases the
large vessel has changed her course to avoid us if necessary. Perhaps that we
have less traffic, the commercial vessels can honor the rules as written without
regards to tonnage.

Tom T.