[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jul 31 11:29:17 EDT 2006

At 09:54 AM 7/31/2006 -0400, William E. Wickman wrote:
>Then came the lightening.  There was ground strike lightening all around
>us.  We were at ground zero of the storm cell, and the storm and lightening
>seemed that much more intense because of the falling darkness.  Just before
>I reached the docks, I saw a couple of strikes hit the hillside just behind
>the docks less than 500 yards away.  It was very unnerving, but never did
>the lightening hit any of the 150+ sailboats in our yacht club; nor did it
>hit my boat, thank goodness.

That's an important observation.  I wonder if it's possible that
voltage potentials build more quickly (and discharge) on land than
fresh water.  Consequently, if you're close to land, you may be
better off than far out in open water.  Hmmm... more research is required!

Cheers!

John

"Spell chequers dew knot work write."