[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Tom about Alumaweld - Others try to explain what he is looking

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Jun 2 06:32:30 EDT 2006

Tom,
        You said, "Do you think Alumaweld built the whole boat, hull and
all?"

      I think I know the answer to your question.  Questions about sailboats
require reseach if you are interested in buying or just knowing about what
is for sale.  I am not posting an answer because I am not sure I know all
the truth and facts.

       When dealing with internet sellers there are completely honest
sellers, there are absoulute crooks and then those that walk in the gray
areas.  The seller of this boat up front called this boat an "Alumaweld".
       I could not explain why he did that from the pictures posted.  With
your information, I put two and two together.  It is apparently an add on
IMF which is not made nor indorsed by General Boats.  It may work.  It may
not work.  Under no circumstances would I put this boat's sail plan into a
General Boats finished product.
       There is an adage, "Buyer be ware".  However, it is up to you whether
you want to buy this boat.  Yes, I have found out more about this situation.
However, I think buyers need to ascertain the facts for themselves.
        If others on the list want to assist you in your questions, there
comments are welcome.  From the question you asked, it sounds like you have
NOT done your homework.  Diligent research on the internet and a few phone
calls could provide you immense increase in your understanding of sailboats,
IMF systems and buying used boats.
        Do not let this post stop you from posting more questions, continue
on..., press on...  To add to Rummy's post, you might begin here:
http://www.manus.igus.com/testimonials.htm  (page down)

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA