[Rhodes22-list] Extension on trailer

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jun 2 14:58:17 EDT 2006

Don,

If you have a single axle trailer, put something under the rear end of
the trailer rail so the trailer can't tilt up when you detach it from
your truck.  It's a heart-stopper to watch a boat kick up like that, and
it happens a lot.  The balance on the trailer is very close to 50-50
ahead of and behind the single axle.  A motor, water in the bilge, stuff
you put in the lazarette can tip the balance the other way.  You won't
see it while your trailer is attached to your hitch, but as soon as it
lets go...

Also, the extension can get oxidized to the frame and become unmovable.
Make sure you can move the extension freely before you need to do so.  I
use WD40 -- Boeshield -- and I store my extension outside my trailer
when not in use.  Some people have had to call welders to free their
extensions.

Bill Effros