[Rhodes22-list] Politics: How's It Going?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Jun 4 23:10:29 EDT 2006

Thanks for the try, but even that doesn't answer my question. Your pointing out plans on how to divvy up the spoils, NOT on how to win. I specifically asked about plans to win the war that bore a resemblance to what finally happened. I further stipulated that the plan and timetable that bore that resemblance should be 6 months prior to it happening.

I believe your assumption that we didn't "think through it" is both wrong, and arrogant (I'm assuming it was "think through it", you left the verb out). Just because this administration is not the one you voted for, and just because they have chosen a different track than what you support doesn't mean it wasn't "thought through."

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> DCLewis1 at aol.com 6/4/2006 9:39:08 pm >>>

Herb,

Re a plan for the end of WWII prior  to the end of WWII, I believe if  you
read reports of the Yalta conference it was pretty much mapped out
geographically and geo-politically.  American units were deployed and  operations were
timed explicitly to be sure we got our agreed territory vice a  land grab by the
Soviets.  Additionally, units were identified to occupy  Germany (and I might
add sufficient and appropriate units, none of this better,  faster, cheaper
crap, we had boots on the ground).

Additionally, I believe MacArthur had a plan for occupying Japan via the
existing Emperor based government.  It was not a case of  his standing  on the
deck of the Missouri in Tokyo bay and wondering aloud "Jeez guys, waddya  think
we ought to do now?".  The need to occupy was clear, explicit  problems with
any occupation had been identified (which I believe is  why we kept the emperor
on) and units were available (again, sufficient  units).

But we actually it through back then, that's what's different.

Dave