[Rhodes22-list] OT political

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Mon Jun 5 01:23:52 EDT 2006

I usually try to keep silent on threads about politics, but Brad quoted
Old Honest Abe to prove his point.  I have only been reading about every
third post on this political thread. Brad, this isn't an attack on you,
but your included quote, while out of context and to make
a statement, touched a nerve

>Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime
that damage morale and undermine the military are
saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged.

~ Abraham Lincoln

Let's tell the other side of the story (for discussion purposes only)
about Abe's quote and his actions.  His Emancipation Proclamation wasn't
his only famous one (some Marylanders would say infamous one). Your kids
or grand kids won't read about this in their history books.

Abe appointed himself dictator when he made a proclamation suspending the
writ of habeas corpus. Some could argue that this proclamation also
suspended the First Amendment too.  This would have taken an act of
Congress, which Lincoln knew would never happen, so he waited until
Congress not in session to make his illegal proclamation.  Numerous
Maryland legislators were rounded up and jailed without charges,
including the mayor of Baltimore.  I haven't read where any of them were
exiled (except a representative from Ohio) or hanged.

When The Supreme Court publicly voiced their opinions that this was
un-constitutional, Lincoln tried to have some of them arrested too.
Lincoln dispatched the marshal of the District of Columbia to arrest
Chief Justice Roger B. Taney.  Lincoln then sent federal troops out to
ensure that elections were held and the jailed legislators were replaced
by men loyal to him - men he could control.

"....government of the people, by the people and for the people..." he'd
later say.

Todd T.

P.S.  I wonder what our reactions would be if there were video cameras at
Wounded Knee, .........well you get the idea.