[Rhodes22-list] Question for Captain Effros & Captain Crawford

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Jun 11 21:55:15 EDT 2006

Quickly, Ed,

The design of the mast hoist is Stan's property, but he won't be able to
protect it.

We went through the manual thing, and technically it's his, but Rose
told him to stop thinking that way.

Stan sells the boats outright, and anyone is free to buy and sell them
thereafter.  He should charge a consulting fee for helping people in the
after market.

A guy like the new Mike would have saved a fortune if he had the benefit
of Stan's knowledge before pouring money into fabricating his own parts.

Stan knows which boats are a good deal, and which aren't worth the
price.  If he were inclined, he could corner the market for used R-22s
and drive up the price on the good ones while leaving all the dogs for
people who don't want to pay for his help.  But it's not his way.

Michael, as noted previously, is just a common carrier, with no claim on
the intellectual property that flows through his machine.

Bill Effros