[Rhodes22-list] The telemarketer. (Humor)

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 14:42:05 EDT 2006

Good one, Rummy!

I love messin' with telemarketers.  Our phone number is listed under my
wife's last name so if I answer and the caller asks, "Is this Mr.
O'Dougherty?"  (and they usually butcher the name)  I know it's a
telemarketer.  I try to put them back on their heals right off by saying
curtly, "This is DOCTOR O'Dougherty!"  or "JUDGE O'Dougherty"  or even
"FATHER O'Dougherty"  There's usually a long pause before the caller
gingerly begins the sell.

Then I listen patiently to the whole spiel and then begin asking questions.
First, I bleed them dry of all their material with all the questions I can
think of.  Then I simply refuse to commit, saying neither yes nor no.
"...It sounds good but I'm just not sure..." type of thing.    The goal is
to make them hang up on me.

"Dr. O'Dougherty do you agree it's a good idea to have siding for you house
that lasts a lifetime?"  "Well yes of course."

"Would you agree that our payment plan makes it easy to afford?"
"Absolutely."

"Well then can I schedule one of our associates to come out for a free
quote?"  "Just a minute, I'll ask my wife."

Then I'll speak off the phone but so he can hear.  I'll start by slowly
repeating everything he said, all my questions and his answers, etc., etc.,
etc.

Next thing I hear is music to my ears:  CLICK

Slim